Thursday, March 24, 2005

Heart of a Warrior

In January I attended a mission's conference in Portland at Mulnomah School of the Bible. I had a wonderful time speaking with students about our ministry and meeting many that were former military now attending the school. I also was able to see many of our older Cadence missionary families that live in the area.
One of these families is the Shryocks. I had lived with the Shryocks in Hanau Germany during my first summer-fill job with Malachi back in the 80s and we have stayed somewhat in touch since then. Bill and Connie moved back to the states a while ago but never stopped doing hospitality ministry. I kept hearing about how they were opening their home to Multnomah students and the incredible impact they were having.
They have slowed way down these days and are both struggling with different physical issues.
I called Bill and Connie to see if I could see them during the conference and we agreed to meet. When they came I was meeting with another couple whom they knew and Connie proclaimed to them that I was one of their "sons" from long ago.
Bill came in pushing a walker in front of him and I must admit I was taken aback a little at this site. Here was a man before me, stooped, that I only knew as full of energy and very active. He sat down in the chair across from and leaned in on his walker to ask me about how things were going for me personally and with the mission. His speech was strong and direct, full of life, eyes, sharp and clear. I realized at that moment that I was looking into the eyes of a warrior trapped in a body that was falling apart around him. I found myself admiring him deeply and challenged in my own commitment to fight the good fight of faith and service.
Bill is now beginning 10 days of radiation therapy for his 2 brain tumors. Dr.s believe this will shrink the tumors but not make them go away. He is experiencing double vision from the tumors and they hope this will deal w/ that. They fear, however, that this treatment will alter his personality. Connie is soul weary and sounded very tired today. Family is coming to visit him from out of state while he is still coherent. He is recovering mobility from his recent stroke. They are arranging to receiving hospice care. Bill is asking for prayer that he will not need to go into a nursing home.
Please join me in praying for this warrior and his wonderful wife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found out a great little tidbit about Bill Shryock today. Among his many talents, he is a ventriloquist!