Saturday, October 03, 2009

Chennai, India

I had an amazing week in Chennai, India, unlike anything I have experienced before, in India or elsewhere in SE Asia. (Chennai is a city of 7 million, with 300,000 living on the streets). My last day there, specifically, was completely Spirit directed and annointed, and I felt like I was part of a New Testament-like experience. Ministry is really taking off there and many pastors and leaders are gaining a vision for reaching their military and police officers for the Lord. For those of you who want to read more of the specifics of my time there, see below. Thank you for your prayers!

Here is some of what I experienced, as I communicated them to Sandra in an email to her... they were both amazing and humbling.

“We stopped by the police quarters (thousands of police families live in govt. housing) to visit a few families for 10-15 minutes and then Lamech (our Indian contact) was going to take me to the aiport. Martin, an Indian in Chennai, has been working with some of the youth in the police govt. housing). It was dark as we arrived... Not many lights... and I felt like I was walking into what I think the projects of South Bronx New York might look like. We walked upstairs to the first families’ apartment (total space not bigger than our living and dinning area combined).

We are warmly greeted with big smiles that quickly put my apprehensions to rest. Two generations live in this little space and they are all Christians. Both the husband and wife work as police officers and they have a small child. All the homes we have visited have bent over backwards to be hospitable and offer tea, soft drinks, and some kind of cookie or something.... This home did not disappoint. We sat around for a few minutes talking about life in the quarters and what it is like being a Christian in the police force. It was then determined that we should pray for the home and go. I was the designated special guest so I was asked to pray. Before I began, requests were given so I ended up praying for several children and a single girl to get a husband “because it is time”.

Martin (guy who has been working with the children of police officers for several years) and myself at the police quarters. The apostle Thomas was martyred on the mountain behind the quarters.

As we were walking between homes we are meeting other believers and a few others who want prayer so we pray for them between the buildings. (this happened several times)

This began a cycle that lasted 2 hours. The next home was a Catholic family that wanted to meet us and have us pray for them. Two generations live in the place as well. Dad has been retired only 3 months. While we were meeting (this place was on the first floor) there was a small commotion outside and I saw a guy coming up using a walker. Two men assisted him into the house and he asked me to pray for him because he was in an accident with a motorcycle. I found out he is a fairly high ranking officer. His left foot was really jacked up, missing all but 2 little toes and it looked black. This happened when a bulldozer ran over his foot years ago. But that was not his current problem--now his leg is broken and his knee joint is out of place. He broke out xrays for me to examine and I was thinking to myself “why is this guy not in a cast and having an operation?” There were clearly bone fragments and a serious break below the knee.

I couldn’t get a clear response as to why he was not in the hospital with this but he asked me to pray and lay hands on his leg. So I went for it. Ok... This is weird... I began to feel his knee getting hot as I am praying... Wasn’t sure what was happening.... But I kept praying. Lamech was translating and everyone around me was praying out loud as well so I was in a cacophony of language of which I don’t even know one word. I started to pray for this man’s healing and I began to pray that the Lord would use the combined faith in the room to make up a mustard seed of belief. When I was finished I looked up at this officer and there were tears coming down his face and he was clearly shaken emotionally. He took my hand and touched his forehead to the back of it. We then prayed for the family there.

The police officer with the damaged leg was assisted out of the room and left. I asked the family there how they know this man and they told me he is a strong Hindu and has been cursing them for years for holding prayer meetings and singing. They were as surprised as I was by his presence. For some reason, he was moved tonight to come and ask for prayer. The younger son told me that while I was praying he had a vision of the man’s bone moving back into place and that there was fire coming down my arm to his leg....wow....I have not heard anything else in the way of follow-up yet but what I do know is that a man who was once attacking Christians has now softened his heart (or God has softened his heart).
( Pictured next to me below)

The next house was the home of one of Martin’s former disciples who is now a police officer. All in the family are believers except his father. We met in their living room and talked a little and then they pointed to a door that was shut near me. They told me that their father was closed up in there surrounded by Hindu idols that line the walls. In the living area where we were sitting, there were pictures of Jesus and a few scriptures displayed. I prayed against evil and specifically against the evil that had been brought into the home by the head of the house. I prayed the the Lord would be their head and for the salvation and deliverance of the father.

OK, check out this picture-- on the pillar of the front gate is the head of Satan that I had not noticed on the way in. No lie... Really freaky.
(Left gate post)

We then walked to the car when another family wanted prayer so we went back and prayed for 15 people. Again, the folks were very moved. One more child ran up on the way out to be prayed for as we finally made it to the car and began our trek to the airport.

Martin rode with us and told me he has never seen this before in all the years working there. I told him that this place is ripe for a police fellowship and ministry of prayer, if nothing else. Both he and Lamech were amazed. Martin verified that the man with the messed up leg was responsible for shutting down his ministry efforts there in the past with the youth. I also found out that the military quarters are connected to this complex of apartment buildings. I really feel that this place could be ground zero for the movement.”

Lamech is calling this new ministry to the police and military “Goodwill to Guardians”. How exciting! Thank you for your prayers!

No comments: