“We are thinking about starting a jumping food business.”I laughed and laughed when I heard this from our military Christian leaders at Unit 51 and 14. We had been discussing creative ideas for micro businesses when they told me about their idea for a frog farm. One of my goals while I was in Cambodia this time was to connect with the three community leaders we have been working with to get an updated report on how ministry is going. This was the first time I had seen these men in several months due to our trip back to the States this summer and boy, how I had missed them.Each of them had a time to share about what the Lord is doing among the men and families of the different units, and I have to tell you that I have never been more encouraged by what I heard.
I heard story after story of growth and maturity among the military believer, stories of how officers who were once against the Christians are now giving their lives to the Lord, stories of provincial governors calling military villages “model
I heard story after story of growth and maturity among the military believer, stories of how officers who were once against the Christians are now giving their lives to the Lord, stories of provincial governors calling military villages “model
communities”.
In the case of Unit 51
In the case of Unit 51
where we are implementing our first CUP (community uplift program) project, we are seeing a tremendous
change happening. A community where you once would see trash everywhere, men getting drunk all the time, spouse
abuse, and a general lack of hope and motivation is now being called a “model community”.
They have already put in 53 organic gardens, 2 water wells, and new sanitary toilets.
We are helping them by supplying 50 families with starter chickens, but they are responsible to build and prepare their own chicken houses that must be built to certain specifications. Thirty-nine are already finished. It is amazing to see them take ownership of this project. It truly is a “Hand-up” and not a “Hand-out”.

They have already put in 53 organic gardens, 2 water wells, and new sanitary toilets.
We are helping them by supplying 50 families with starter chickens, but they are responsible to build and prepare their own chicken houses that must be built to certain specifications. Thirty-nine are already finished. It is amazing to see them take ownership of this project. It truly is a “Hand-up” and not a “Hand-out”.
Unit 14 is probably the most organized ministry I have seen there so far. Capt. Savorn has 13 Christian leaders he is training, one for each sub-division of their unit (as shown written out in the picture below).
13 Leaders for all the sub-divisions
Their community will be the location for the next CUP project once their leaders have been discipled and are showing maturity.
There is however a water supply project that we are considering helping them with so that they can start with some organic gardens. This unit is near a mountain that has water coming down all year but is about 1000 meters from the camp. I am helping them engineer a plan to get the water to them. (This is right up my alley with the engineering training I received while in the Navy SeaBees)
We are going to need about $1500 and a good GPS device which I will be able to use on future projects.
We continue to be excited about ministry here, as you can tell!
Their community will be the location for the next CUP project once their leaders have been discipled and are showing maturity.
There is however a water supply project that we are considering helping them with so that they can start with some organic gardens. This unit is near a mountain that has water coming down all year but is about 1000 meters from the camp. I am helping them engineer a plan to get the water to them. (This is right up my alley with the engineering training I received while in the Navy SeaBees)
We are going to need about $1500 and a good GPS device which I will be able to use on future projects.
We continue to be excited about ministry here, as you can tell!
No comments:
Post a Comment