Thursday, March 27, 2008

Unit 14 Cambodia

“I heard you were going to be here and I wanted to talk with you about this Christianity I keep hearing about”.
With a Chinese-made automatic weapon slung over his shoulder, a young Buddhist soldier asked me this near the end of our medical outreach on the first day. 

Young Soldier
We spent nearly an hour discussing the Lord and the differences between religion and a relationship with Jesus. He expressed that he has become really interested because many in his military village are now believers. He is still seeking... I feel a little like a broken record when I say that the Spirit is moving among Cambodian military men and their families!

Men of Unit 14 on a combat patrol exercise
This was my first exposure to this Unit that saw such a large number of baptisms last Oct. ( more than 800!)
We were able to do small group training with the key leaders in this camp as well as conduct a medical outreach.
Even those these men were invited to our leadership training, not all were Christians. This became evident when 9 officers responded to the gospel.


Team member Andrew Trawick teaching the gospel
The commander was very grateful for our presence as we were able to treat a bunch of his men who were getting ready to head out on maneuvers.

Commander of Unit 14
The greatest need now is for new believer follow-up.

There are a number of non-officer soldiers who expressed a desire to learn as well and so we are considering some kind of program to help them form small groups.

Capt. Savorn is our key contact there, a soldier Sareth has been discipling for about 1 year.
Capt. Savorn

No comments: